1942 British Armoured Brigade

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action 1942 British Armoured Brigade

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Orange Dave
    Participant

Just a quick question of historical composition.
    Would an armoured platoon have a mix of tank types? I.e Stuart, Grant and Sherman fielded together?

I now it’s a game and I can field what I like, but it would be nice to get it right. 🙂

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

Unlikely (not impossible) at troop/platoon level simply because regiments tended to have a single type for ease of maintenance. That said, in the desert Armoured Regiments within a brigade often cross attached squadrons so that each had at least some tanks with a good HE capacity.
    A troop might have one or more of the CS tanks from SHQ attached for a particular action.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Another exception that did occur was Sherman Fireflies in Cromwell regiments – even that only occurred until the Cromwell based equivalent became available. They even tried to keep the same Sherman variant across each Sherman regiment – Sherman Is and Sherman ICs in one regiment, Sherman Vs and Sherman VCs in another for example.

Gareth
    Participant

Looking at some of the desert battles in 1942 there are plenty of examples of British tank regiments being reduced to less than 10 tanks(Grants & Honeys mixed together) and I would expect them to form one platoon in such chaos ?

Orange Dave
    Participant

Thanks chaps.
    I currently have a grant and a honey. I’ll probably get a 2nd grant then and run with that. 3 of the same tank is a little dull to collect.

Dr Dave
    Participant

In May 1942 at Gazala British “Cruiser” regts had the same type in the sqns but different types across the regt. This was:

Grant / Grant / Honey – RHQ in Grant

Or

Grant / crusader II / crusader II – RHQ in crusader II

By Alamein it was (at best, but many regts still had older tanks)

Sherman / Grant / crusader (inc now 2 troops of crusader III)

As losses mounted sqns were often merged so a regt fielded just one sqn and then in turn brigades got down to sqn strength as well.

Infantry tanks would be all Valentine or Matilda up to June 42, then just Valentine.

King force at Alamein had 6x Churchill III

I don’t think any regt fielded the Honey-Grant-Sherman combo you have, but I will check.

Dr Dave
    Participant

From what I can find the Alamein regts are as I have said with a few exceptions:

Staffs Yeomanry: Grant Grant Crusader

41, 45 and 47 RTR: Sherman Sherman Grant

So there are slight variations

Orange Dave
    Participant

Excellent. Thanks for the added research. I’ll stick with fielding Grants then.

Dr Dave
    Participant

Shermans are a bit, well… naff. Also they’re too good to my mind to reflect the feel of the desert war.

Grants look funky, aswell as being quintessentially North Africa.

Orange Dave
    Participant

Haha. That’s pretty much my rationale. A very iconic look.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.